Opinions about my proposed tagging conventions?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Opinions about my proposed tagging conventions?
Date: 23 Jul 2001 16:14:19 -0500

I don't know if people recall, but when I branched CVS, I proposed
some tag naming conventions.  Did anyone have any objections?  I'm
currently rewriting chunks of RELEASE and HACKING, and I wanted to
include these conventions if they're deemed suitable.

Thanks

  My previous suggestions:

  In the suggestions below, I follow the Scheme convention that dashes
  are used to separate words within a single symbol, and so I've taken
  dashes to bind more tightly than underscores, so foo-bar_baz-bax would
  indicate that foo-bar is somehow separate from baz-bax.

  Branch root tags:
  -----------------
  anytime just before you create a branch it's a good
  idea to create a normal tag so that you can refer to the branch point
  on the main trunk as well as on the branch.  So for that I propose
  (and have used) a tag of the form

    branch_root-release-1-X

  or more generally, for other non-release branches:

    branch_FOO

  Branch tags:
  ------------
  for the branch tag itself, I used (and propose)

   branch_release-1-6

  or more generally, for other non-release branches:

    branch_FOO

  Merge tags:
  -----------
  Whenever you're merging a branch back into the trunk (or into another
  branch repeatedly) you need to tag the branch each time you merge.  If
  you don't do that, you won't be able to merge repeatedly without
  possibly tedious conflicts.  For those tags I propose:

    branch_merge_SOME-FOO_to_SOME-BAR_1
    branch_merge_SOME-FOO_to_SOME-BAR_2

  As an example, SOME-BAR might be trunk, or even perhaps another branch
  like branch-mvo-super-fixes :>

  More mundanely, you might have

    branch_merge_release-1-6_to_trunk

  and I suspect that merging the stable branch to the trunk like this
  will be much more common, if it happens, than the reverse for the
  reasons mentioned above.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu