Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).
Date: 18 Jul 2001 22:43:01 +0100

    Rob> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> OK, but the firing of apply traps requires both `(trap-enable
    >> 'apply-frame)' and `(debug-enable 'traps)' [SCM_TRAPS_P in C].
    >> And `with-traps' is basically
    >>
    >> (dynamic-wind (debug-enable 'traps) (thunk) (debug-disable
    >> 'traps))

    Rob> Hmm.  It appears there isn't a 'traps option to debug-enable.
    Rob> And though my profiler seemed to be working interactively.
    Rob> I've found that it won't work from a script without an
    Rob> enclosing with-traps.

Sorry; `(debug-enable 'traps)' should have been `(trap-enable
'traps)'.  Does it still not work with `(debug-enable 'debug)' and
`(trap-enable 'traps)'?

    Rob> Is that just a guile limitation?  I've tried various
    Rob> combinations of (debug-enable ...) and (trap-enable ...) with
    Rob> various options and none of them seem to work from a script
    Rob> unless I add a with-traps after a call to (debug-enable
    Rob> 'debug).

I don't know what's going on here.  Are scripts run by default using
the non-debugging evaluator?

I thought of one problem, but it's only relevant AFAIK to interactive
use.  All REPL expressions are evaluated within the context of the
`with-traps' in boot-9.scm.  So if you type `(trap-enable 'traps)' or
`(trap-disable 'traps)' interactively, it has no effect, because the
exit-guard of the `with-traps' dynamic wind puts SCM_TRAPS_P back to
whatever it was set as before the with-traps was entered.

        Neil