Re: Guile versioning

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Guile versioning
Date: 17 Jul 2001 14:36:34 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Is this really a working idea? Doesn't that mean that an application
> linked against the library won't work with the new version _even if
> the API didn't change at all_? As far as i understand the libtool
> docs the version number describes API interoparability. There is
> no reason to keep the library versions in sync.

Ideally, I agree, we should version each library independently, but I
wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Also, for libraries that aren't supposed to be linked to anything
independently of libguile, then it may not really matter whether or
not their interface number changes to indicate non-existent
incompatibilities.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu