Re: HTML documentation

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: HTML documentation
Date: 25 Jun 2001 02:35:20 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I think there was a recent email about adding the current GRM (in
> HTML) to the web pages, where Marius mentioned some problems with
> texi2html.  (I seem to have lost that email here, so not 100% sure.)

(texi2html is much better now.  I tried it first on a SuSE box, but my
home Debian system seems to have a more recent texi2html.  I only get
two warnings or so and the result looks good.)

> I got problems with texi2html too, and just tried makeinfo --html
> --number-sections instead.  makeinfo seems much happier than
> texi2html, so perhaps we should switch to that.

The big difference is that makeinfo produces one big html file while
texi2html splits its output by chapter or section.  For the Guile
manual, makeinfo produces over 1 megabyte in one file.  I'm not sure
whether all browsers (and dial up links) will deal nicely with this.

Other than that, I think I would prefer to use makeinfo, too, since it
comes from the texinfo package itself.