Re: New auto tools

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: New auto tools
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:53:32 -0400

Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Rob> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>     >> I have a mostly stable Debian distro (2.2).  Does anyone know
>     >>
>     >> - how to persuade dselect/apt-get to install the new versions
>     >> of automake etc. over the ones I already have
>
>     Rob> I'd say the easiest thing to do might be to temporarily
>     Rob> change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to unstable, then
>     Rob> run
>
>     Rob>   apt-get update
>     Rob>   apt-get install automake autoconf libtool
>
> Thanks very much for the help, Rob.  However, the apt-get install line
> wants to pull in much much more that I want right now (27Mb of it,
> including gcc 3 + associated libc etc.).  Is there a way of avoiding
> pulling in these dependencies?

What I did was "apt-get -b source autoconf" and then install the freshly
made .deb.  It had dependancies on other packages, but to build those I
had to upgrade lots of other packages.  So in the end I did a force
remove of the old autoconf package and just installed from the source
that the apt-get left behind.  So now autoconf is in /usr/local/bin.

Building guile works fine, but now I have an unmet dependancy (automake
needs autoconf installed). :(

-Dale
--
Dale P. Smith