Re: snarfing

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: snarfing
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:43:36 +0200 (MEST)

> From: Michael Livshin <address@hidden>
> Date: 28 May 2001 12:40:38 +0300
>
> now I have a couple of questions:
>
> * the simple question: would it be OK to stop installing
>   `guile-snarf.awk'?  (guile-doc-snarf doesn't call it anymore, but I
>   don't know whether it was supposed to be callable on its own.  let's
>   hope not).

I think that's okay.

> * the general question: how about changing `make dist' to make
>   everything which is not platform-dependent and include it in the
>   source distribution?  'cause I don't think it's nice to require
>   those who build from source to have a recent makeinfo etc.  (those
>   who are foolish enough to _change_ the source are another matter, of
>   course).

We should do that, IMHO.  We shouldn't require that people have
installed makeinfo at all when just building from distribution
tarballs.  Otherwise, we could as well stop distributing the info
files and save a few KBytes.

OTOH, that means that we have to distribute the guile-procedures.txt
file, which depends on the guile.texi file and the *.doc files, so
they are needed as well.  Would that be too much?

Regards,
  'martin