Re: New command line option --use-srfi

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: New command line option --use-srfi
Date: 15 May 2001 19:46:11 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> How is this different from
>
>     $ guile -c "(begin
>                   (use-modules (foo bar) (baz bax))
>                   (display \"Welcome to Guile.\\n\")
>                   (load-user-init)
>                   (top-repl))"
>     Welcome to Guile.
>     guile>

It's composable.  I can write a script that does:

  #!/bin/sh
  guile -x foo -x bar "$@"

and not have to worry about what's in address@hidden

Though I seem to recall that there may be some other way to get this
effect too.  The -x approach also seems pretty easy to explain, and
something people are familiar with from perl (at least).

However, there may be good reasons for not adding it, so don't let me
talk you in to it if it's a bad idea :>

> Nevertheless, adding the `-x' option sounds like a good idea.  It
> shouldn't hurt if there is more than one way to do it.  We should in
> any case clarify what module is the current one when code from the
> command line is executed.

Yes, definitely, and I wasn't necessarily advocating using the flag
"x", I just used that as a placeholder, though now that I think about
it, it's not bad.

wrt clarifying the module, definitely.