Re: Do we have a standard for error checking/handling?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Do we have a standard for error checking/handling?
Date: 12 May 2001 16:52:30 -0500

Sam Tregar <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be possible to use some kind of conditionally-expanded
> macro for this?  Developers could do "(type-checking on)" at the top
> of their code when they want slow type checking in effect throughout
> Guile's modules.  Then, when all is well they can change it to
> "(type-checking off)" and get the benefit of faster execution.
> Sounds like a new standard module could be off use here.

This would be entirely possible and probably not technically
challenging.  We would just have to agree on a standard and start
using it. i.e. a dirt-stupid implementation might be

  (define-macro (debuging-type-checks . body)
    (if *debuging-use-type-checks?*
        `(begin ,@body)
        #t))

and then you could have

  (define (foo some-number some-string)
    (debugging-type-checks
      (if (not (number? some-number) ...))
      (if (not (string? some-string) ...)))

    ...)

This mechanism could only be enabled/disabled before a load, but it
would also have *no* runtime impact when disabled.  It's the
rough equivalent of #ifdef...

Whether or not this is something we *should* try to do on a large
scale is another question entirely.