Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor
Date: 11 May 2001 18:07:47 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes.  I think is a pretty attractive option.  The only argument
> against it, I think, is that it increases the size of libguile.

Hmm, if there's a way we can tell gcc to put all the strings in the
same area (memory wise), then it doesn't seem like it'd really affect
anything (at least under Linux) other than the disk footprint, and
that doesn't seem so bad.  We could even have a switch so that we
could build a docless lib if needed (for embedded apps, whatever).

And really, you only need a version of libguile that has the docs for
long enough for you to tell it to dump a doc file.  After that, you
don't have to keep it around, do you?  You could even conceivably
build a version of libguile with docs during compilation, use it to
dump, then delete that version and build a new one without docs for
installation.

Further, if we wanted to use some EVIL_MACRO_MAGIC, we might be able
to have it so we can compile each file in two passes, one which gets
the normal code sans docuementation, and the other which gets the
documentation definitions.  The first compilation would be for
libguile and the second would be for libguiledoc which is optional and
contains the definition of (dump-docs).  I'm not saying it's a good
idea, just that it might be possible :>