Re: module naming

From: thi
Subject: Re: module naming
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 19:45:55 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 07 May 2001 13:43:43 +0200

   >      (use-modules (foo bar) :import-only (something))

   But shouldn't we use `use-module' here, not `use-moduleS'?  I think
   when specifying more arguments, we should restrict one statement to
   one module.

good point.  another approach would be to do:

(use-modules ((foo bar) :import-only (something))
             ((bar baz) :import-only (other-thing)))

   > (define-module (my module)
   >   :use-module (ice-9 common-list) :rename (c++-envy-renamer 'cl))

   Hmm, isn't the connection between :use-module and :rename a bit
   loose?  We would have to parse ahead to find all keywords that apply
   to a :use-module.

yeah, we could use something like:

(define-module (my module)
  :use-module ((ice-9 common-list) :rename (c++-envy-renamer 'cl)))

this has same internal syntax as above so we can share parsers (and
avoid introducing bugs).

   > a potential glitch [...]

   I'd say, just let it happen.  Specify that it is undefined at what
   times these procedures are called (just like macro transformers).

the timing is one thing, but i'm also concerned that the procedure names
have to be resolved somehow by the module system machinery...  we could
restrict the renamer to be a lambda expression, but that seems kind of
ugly.

   For simple and common things like prefixing, we could have dedicated
   options like `:prefix SYMBOL'.

i am on the fence w/ this idea because although it is attractive, it
sort of crosses the mechanism/policy boundary too much for my tastes...
i would rather the module system description mini-language evolve
extensibility (at some future point after next release) rather than
accrue overly-specialized syntax.  hopefully this "gut feel" explanation
makes sense.

thi