Re: array-equal?

From: Masao Uebayashi
Subject: Re: array-equal?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 00:34:48 +0900

Hello developers,

> Alright, is it just me or is array-equal? completely broken?

I hope that you aren't completely broken. :-)

> guile> (array-equal? (make-uniform-array 'a 1) (make-uniform-array 'a 1))
(snip)
> ABORT: (wrong-type-arg)
>
> I tried looking at scm_array_equal_p(), but it uh.. is hard to understand.
> It looks way more complicated than it should be. Is there any particular
> reason for that?

Complicated, yes. I also tried to use Uniform Array, found some
problems, and felt awkwardness.  Some developers seem to agree that
Guile's current Uniform Array (Vector) has some issues and should be
revised.

Now I'm surveying other multi-dimensional array implementations. Not
so much languages have such a data structure unlike that I imagined. I
first found that GSL's Vector and Matrix is neatly designed, which
originates from C++'s valarray. Fortran can treat it easily. Perl and
Python guys are considering to add better multi-dimensional array
implementations to their new versions.

I'll hopefully send a summary about this again.

---
Masao Uebayashi <address@hidden>    --- We like raw eggs.