Re: Planning work

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Planning work
Date: 01 May 2001 23:14:16 +0200

address@hidden (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> I'm going to be working for the FSF this summer on guile translation
> agents.  That is, the long-wanted translators for other languages into
> guile.

Great!

> If there is some such kind of dynamic module necessary, it must be
> added to Guile ASAP, or my work becomes dead in the water.

Would you work on such a module as part of your project, or would you
consider canceling your project when such a module does not appear on
the scene?

> My work should be machine independent, and be the sort of thing any
> guile user could immediately start using, without requiring them to
> compile, install, and all that jazz.

Which code should not need to be installed, etc?  Your Python
translator, or the Python code that people will want to run with
Guile?  I agree that people should not need to specially treat their
Python code to use it with Guile via your translator, but is it
realistic to require that the translator not be installed explicitely?

> Third, where can I find documentation (however scanty) on the guile
> module system?

In addition to the stuff in guile-core/doc/guile.info, there is
documentation in guile-1.0.tar.gz, file doc/guile.info, part of which
is still relevant and more detailed.