Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?
Date: 25 Apr 2001 21:59:38 +0100

    Marius> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> (call-with-deprecation "The (ice-9 srfi-8) module is
    >> deprecated; please use (srfi srfi-8) instead."  noop)

    Marius> We really should have a more direct way of achieving this.

Yes, that's better.

Thinking a bit more about this today, it might be good if these
functions (i.e. call-with-deprecation and issue-deprecation-warning)
also carried a version number (or symbol), indicating the version that
was current at the time when they were deprecated.

This would give two benefits:

1) Very easy at release time to go through the code and know which
   bits of old deprecated stuff to remove completely.

2) We could optionally implement varying levels of warning depending
   on how recently something was deprecated.

Regards,
        Neil