Re: Document the current module system?

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Document the current module system?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:22:34 +0200 (MET DST)

> From: Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:36:00 +0200 (MEST)
>
> IMO, documenting the current system would be a good thing in any
> case.  Even, if this was only to be able to state "Prior to Guile 1.x the
> module system worked somewhat different, namely ...".  There will, for
> quite some time be code that uses the old system.  It's good to have that
> documented.  Further, parts of the interface will probably be provided for
> backward compatibility.

Maybe it's best to document the module system from the user's
perspective:

* How to use (use-modules ...)

  with documentation about constructing module names, how they relate
  to file names

* How to use (define-module ...)

  Docs about allowed keywords (:export etc.)

* How to export procedures.

Since I don't understand the underlying features of the system anyway,
I won't document them at all.

Apropos not understanding: What is the difference between `export' and
`export-syntax' exactly?

Regards,
  'martin