Re: Thread support plan with initial patch

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Thread support plan with initial patch
Date: 06 Apr 2001 16:03:23 +0100

    Dirk> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
    >> To change the threads support dynamically (Null, Pthreads or
    >> COOP), we need some changes for libguile.  I think that modules
    >> should provide a hook for thread-support change, something
    >> like:

    Dirk> I don't think we want to switch the thread implementation
    Dirk> dynamically, i. e. from an already running guile.  We just
    Dirk> want to be able to select the desired thread implementation
    Dirk> when starting up the interpreter.  Well, at least that's
    Dirk> what I have been assuming up to now.

I agree; I'd hate to have to write that thread-switch-hook code for my
modules!

But we could generalize Dirk's statement a little without complicating
the implementation, by saying that you can switch the thread
implementation whenever there is just one thread and there are no
mutexes, cond vars etc.  In other words, whenever there are no
multiple-thread-related resources in existence.

Regards,
        Neil