Re: SRFI-13 implementation available

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: SRFI-13 implementation available
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:55:28 +0200

> From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
> Date: 26 Mar 2001 21:41:32 +0100

>     Martin> If the maintainers let me, I will add this C file to the
>     Martin> Guile core library.  But note: that would mean a new C
>     Martin> file with about 2500 lines of code in the core.
>
> I would support this - and lots else - being in the core distribution,
> but I worry about growing the size of the core library more and more.
> Perhaps now is a good time to start looking seriously at modularising
> the core distribution into multiple, separately loadable libraries?
>
> What are the issues with this kind of modularisation?

Policy issues, I think.  How should the modules be named, should they
be installed by default etc.

My SRFI-13 implementation currently gets installed under
<prefix>/share/guile/srfi and can thus be loaded with a

  (use-modules (srfi srfi-13))

form.  If the size of libguile.so bothers people, it could be added to
the core distribution like the libguilereadline.so library.

My main concern is not to get this into libguile.so, but into the
distribution, so that it is easy for people to use it, and that people
can write code relying on it.

Regards,
  'martin