Re: Proposed change to `make-readline-port'

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Proposed change to `make-readline-port'
Date: 07 Mar 2001 22:42:59 +0000

    Dirk> On 5 Mar 2001, Neil Jerram wrote:

    >> (We could later think about removing the line-based assumption,
    >> but I'd rather not consider that change right now.)

    Dirk> If I understand things right, you have to add the newline
    Dirk> because it is not part of the characters that are returned
    Dirk> by readline.  Why not just let the reader function append
    Dirk> the newline character before returning the string?

I think it's a question of usage.  What it would be more general to do
as you suggest, the generality is not very helpful if it just forces
all practical users of `make-buffered-line-input-port' to return
`(string-append str "\n")' rather than `str'.

My second use of `make-buffered-line-input-port' is in constructing a
port around a GtkEntry widget, which, like Readline, naturally returns
its string _without_ a terminating newline.

Regards,
        Neil