Re: eval

From: thi
Subject: Re: eval
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:13:37 -0800

   From: Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:10:32 +0100 (MET)

   However, I don't think we are preempting the outcome of the module
   design process: What we are doing at the moment is _doing_ the module
   design process.  It may be that some of the solutions suggested will
   not be used.  But, we don't even have an impression how we would like
   to use the new module system.  The only wishlist that I have found is
   a summary at http://www.glug.org/docbits/modules.texi.txt, but most
   of the points listed there need discussion.

because i'm getting a washing machine tomorrow morning, i felt inspired
to revive this document.  please find below the beginnings of a new
section "findings".  i would appreciate if those who have stronger
net.access could email me privately URLs (and summaries) for module
system research papers, etc, to add to this section (and the index page,
why not).  generally, any concise distillation of related discussion
from this list is very welcome, as are corrections/additions to any part
of the document.

i've also put the doc under RCS, which means you can track:
  http://www.glug.org/docbits/ChangeLog.txt
and updated the blurb on the index page.

thi

____________________________________
@c $Date: 2001/02/17 09:58:02 $
@node Findings
@subsection Findings

This section briefly describes module system truths that are one step more
detailed than "module systems are hairy".  These truths are not self-evident;
we rely on research, active experimentation and lots of discussion.  The goal
of this section is to save ourselves from rehashing that which was hashed
previously.

@itemize @bullet

@item Distinction between Top-Level Environment and Module

These two are different beasts!  Each of the following needs to be
well-defined with respect to both of these concepts: @code{eval},
@code{define}, @code{define-public}, @code{define-module}, @code{load},
working from REPL, top-level @code{begin}, [add here].

In guile-1.4, the distinction was not clear.

@item [add here]

@end itemize

[excerpt ends here]