Re: Guile Binary Format 0.0

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Guile Binary Format 0.0
Date: 03 Feb 2001 19:18:15 +0200

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> Moreover, we can avoid load-time dispatch due to the meta section
> (It's not "meta", I guess...)  Since objects of the same type are
> sequentially placed, we can reconstruct them in a small loop (see
> scm_undump_alloc).  I guess this is also good for fast loading.

if I may offer my paranoid opinion...

I don't like this.  if you group objects according to their type and
not according to their relation to each other, you break data
locality.  the loaded image may perform much worse then it did before
saving.

I don't think it's very important to heavily optimize saving/loading
time, as these operations are dominated by I/O anyway.

so it would be good to find a nice combination of good object grouping
and small file size.  the best way (to me) is to dump raw memory, more
or less, and "patch" it upon restoring.  would that be doable?

--
... it's just that in C++ and the like, you don't trust _anybody_,
and in CLOS you basically trust everybody.  the practical result