Re: Suggestion for renamings

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Suggestion for renamings
Date: 28 Jan 2001 19:13:02 +0100

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18 Jan 2001, Ole Myren Rohne wrote:
>
> > Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I suggest the following renamings (i. e. deprecating the previous names):
> > >
> > > SCM_MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM --> SCM_FIXNUM_MAX
> > > SCM_MOST_NEGATIVE_FIXNUM --> SCM_FIXNUM_MIN
> > > 'most-positive-fixnum    --> 'fixnum-max
> > > 'most-negative-fixnum    --> 'fixnum-min
> > >
> > > These names fit better in the naming scheme that is used in limits.h.
> >
> > most-positive-fixnum and most-negative-fixnum fits perfectly with the
> > naming scheme used in Common Lisp. One could argue for keeping them
> > for consistency with other CL-isms like the logxxx-family.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.  Hmmm.

We should keep the names `most-positive-fixnum' et.al.  Not so much
for compatability with Common Lisp code, but for brain-compatability.
People who know about fixnum/bignum etc are probably familiar with
these names.  The C names should follow the Scheme names.  If the
names are too clumsy, individual files can `#define' abbreviations for
them.