Re: ice-9/and-let*.scm

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: ice-9/and-let*.scm
Date: 12 Dec 2000 02:36:30 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> There are two possibilities:
>
> One, continue to simplistically map module names to filenames and
> demand that all module names make for sensible filenames.
>
> Two, allow all Scheme symbols are module name components and map to
> sensible filenames in a platform specific way.
>
> The first solution would require us to rename `(ice-9 and-let*)' and
> tell people to use the new name.  We can install a compatability
> module for the transition period (on systems that allow it).
>
> The second solution is cleaner but requires more porting work.  What
> is a sensible filename?

I think the first solution might be better, though I agree that the
second one is cleaner.

In case of the second solution, 1) one has to convert the name by
hand when one creates a file, 2) if a language other than Scheme
wants to load a module with special symbols, its name might not fit
well in the language's syntax.

Since module names are part of inter-language interface, there should
be some naming convention.  How is Guile going to exchange names
between languages?  I think a standard naming system with some automatic
name conversion (like "-" to "_") is convenient.

-- Kei