Re: about strings, symbols and chars.

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: about strings, symbols and chars.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:27:23 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Dirk Herrmann wrote:

> I'd like to get rid of the SCM_STRING_UCHARS macro and clean up the
> handling of characters and strings with respect to signedness.  In other
> words, it should be clearly defined what kind of characters are to be
> found in a scheme string object.

Surprisingly, changing SCM_STRING_CHARS to always return an unsigned char*
doesn't seem to have any effect at all.  Not a single additional compiler
warning message.  Hmmm.  Why is that?  As far as I know, it is not
specified whether a char is a signed or an unsigned value.  Thus, a char*
could potentially be a pointer to a signed char or an unsigned
char.  Assigning these pointer types to each other should at least cause a
compiler warning, shouldn't it?

Dirk Herrmann