Re: Unified name properties

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: Unified name properties
Date: 05 Oct 2000 11:16:19 -0400

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> My suggestion is, that we allow for multiple names returned in a list, but
> that we also guarantee that the first name listed is somewhat 'basic'.
> For example, when using the environment-scanning approach to names, a
> search order could be provided which defaults to scanning the r5rs module
> first, followed by guile's internal modules and finally user-modules.
> This is most flexible, as it allows to build the `there is at most one
> name per object' implementation on top of it.

I think one would also want to find modules with names if one wants to
find multiple names, so that one can display module names with procedure
names.

I think a standard single-name function is okay as long as there is also
a way to find multiple names (like environment-binding).  With your
environment-scanning idea, I think scm_object_names and object-names
sound redundant to me, whereas scm_object_name and object-name are the
functions we really want now.