Re: gc issues

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: gc issues
Date: 19 Sep 2000 14:24:40 +0200

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Still, am I right saying that due to the multiprossor issue we _need_
> locking to obtain a new cell?

(Again, I still haven't read this thread, so I might be saying
 irrelevant things.)

We are not going to lock a mutex for each cell allocation.  That would
mean substantial overhead.  The major reason for introducing the
clusters into the GC was to be able to avoid locking a mutex when
allocating.

I'm not sure exactly which problem seems to force us to lock a mutex,
but if it is the memory coherence problem, we'll simply only support
multiprocessor machines where memory coherence is guaranteed.  This
holds for the i386 platform.