guga-user

[guga-user] Fwd: The party is over... but the fight for freedom is ready

From: Daniel Pimentel
Subject: [guga-user] Fwd: The party is over... but the fight for freedom is ready for another thirty years
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:43:28 -0300

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 2015-10-09 20:19
From: "Free Software Foundation" <address@hidden>
To: Daniel Pimentel <address@hidden>

Dear Daniel,

Last Saturday, we celebrated the Free Software Foundation's thirtieth
birthday with a party to remember.

On October 4, 1985, Richard Stallman founded the non-profit Free
Software Foundation to support the free software movement, especially
the GNU Project [1] (begun in 1983), the GNU General Public License [2]
(created in 1989), and the four freedoms [3] that define free software:

        * the freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom
0).
        * the freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
your computing as you wish (freedom 1).
        * the freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
        * the freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
(freedom 3).

At thirty years old, the FSF was the first non-profit organization
dedicated to free software, and is one of the oldest digital rights
organizations in the world. This anniversary is a good reason to
celebrate, and free software enthusiasts joined the festivities from all
over, attending the party in Boston, watching the livestream of toasts
by Allison Randal, Eben Moglen, Vernor Vinge, Karen Sandler, Bradley
Kuhn, and Cory Doctorow, followed by an inspiring speech by Richard
Stallman, and hosting their own celebrations by plugging in to our party
network [4]. We even surprised partygoers with a performance of "The
Free Software Song" and the Bulgarian song from which it takes its
melody, "Sadi moma bela loza," sung by members of the Boston-area
Bulgarian groups Divi Zheni [5] and Zornitsa.

The FSF also hosted a User Freedom Summit in Cambridge, with more than
80 attendees, who took part in a copyleft.org [6] hackfest, an
introduction to the decentralized Web, a discussion of the free software
BIOS/UEFI replacement Libreboot [7], an intro to GnuPG email encryption
[8], and Eben Moglen's look at the next fifteen years of the free
software movement.

Our friends and supporters celebrated elsewhere, too. The Free Software
Foundation Europe [9] had a party in Berlin, with this beautiful cake,
inspired by our 30th anniversary logo:

_ _

_CC-BY-SA _Matthias Kirschner

Alagoas:

_CC-BY-SA Daniel Pimentel_

and a ton in other locations [4].

If you organized an event to celebrate the FSF's thirtieth anniversary,
tell us about it! Send your photos or blog posts to address@hidden --
we'd like to share them!

So, what does the FSF have planned for the next thirty years? Plenty.
We're going to continue to fight for user freedom, alerting the public
to the dangers of nonfree software in tiny computers everywhere,
enforcing the GPL, and encouraging more people to use free software
every day. We just upgraded our CiviCRM instance, which makes staying in
touch with you even easier, and we've got more technology upgrades
planned, to make our work more efficient. We have added new staff
positions in the past two years, and we'd like a few more -- a bigger
team will help us expand our reach, share urgent information with you
faster, and deepen our relationships in the free software community.

But to do that, we need you. We have over 3,400 members, and more than
two-thirds of our funding comes from individuals -- members and one-time
or occasional donors of sums large and small. We rely on the free
software community's generosity, and there are many ways to give [10].
The third edition of Richard Stallman's essay collection, _Free
Software, Free Society_, is now available in hardcover [11] and
paperback [12]. And we still have commemorative FSF30 t-shirts [13], as
well! Members [14] enjoy a 20% discount on all purchases in the GNU
Press shop.

Thanks for celebrating with us. In the coming weeks, keep an eye out for
recordings from the User Freedom Summity and party, more on LibrePlanet
2016 (you can submit a session proposal [15] through November 16), a
community survey that will help us shape the next thirty years of the
FSF, and guidelines for repositories that host free software projects,
authored by Richard Stallman.

Happy hacking,

Georgia Young
 Program Manager

_Read it online:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/the-party-is-over-but-the-fight-for-freedom-is-ready-for-another-thirty-years
[16]_

Follow us on GNU social [17] | Subscribe to our blogs via RSS [18] |
Join us as an associate member [19]

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,
51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
United States

Unsubscribe [20] from this mailing list.

Stop all email [21] from the Free Software Foundation, including
Defective by Design, and the Free Software Supporter newsletter.

Links:
------
[1] https://gnu.org/
[2] https://gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL