grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI part

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI partition
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 18:27:17 +0200

Hi,

Florian Pelz wrote:
> This is not an install ISO but a USB install medium.  The USB drive
> was written by the Windows Media Creation Tool.  Copying instead a
> Windows ISO created by the Windows Media Creation Tool to a USB drive
> does *not* yield a bootable USB drive; it does not even boot on other
> computers.

This would bring the MS-World back in sync with my understanding of UEFI
specs and other info sources.

But there are substantial rumors that the ISO boots from USB stick.
Microsoft is said to advertise it for DVD+R DL and USB stick.
(I could not get my hands on ISO or advertising yet ...)

Whatever, if your USB stick has an EFI partition, then you could try to
spoil it for your Macbook by writing the partition slot or the whole
partition table. The byte offsets like 446 or 454 are counted from the
start of the EFI partition.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas