grub-devel

Extend grub-ofpathname to behaves like yaboot/ofpath on PowerPC system

From: Mathieu Malaterre
Subject: Extend grub-ofpathname to behaves like yaboot/ofpath on PowerPC system
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 08:19:57 +0200

Dear grub developers,

We are looking to extend grub-ofpathname so that it also handles
PowerPC system such as PowerMac with a limited OpenFirmware
implementation[1]. In particular the following patch has been found to
produce an output compatible with such system [2].

While we understand that components of a path are in this general form:

We also do understand that name can be safely omitted as the device is
actually getting located by
its address. Therefore, these two paths refer to the same device:

/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:b

/@f4000000/@d/@0:b

However for the PowerMac we tested it on, only the second form has
been found to be accepted.

How best should we provide you with a patch (the current one is kind
of a hack)? Should we extend grub-ofpathname to take a new parameter
(eg. `--omit-names`) and decide to print or not the name, would that
be acceptable ?

Comments very welcome,

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916864
[2]