grub-devel

RE: Questions about grub_video_set_mode()

From: Dexuan Cui
Subject: RE: Questions about grub_video_set_mode()
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 01:14:19 +0000

Hi Paul,
Actually it works -- it looks somehow I was careless... I'm sorry!

> > Does grub support remote debugging via network?
> > I know gdb can debug grub in Qemu, but here the issue looks like
> > Hyper-V specific.
>
> If Hyper-V can emulate a serial port, then this should be one way to
> go. Something like below for `/etc/default/grub`.
>
> GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
> GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=0 --speed=115200"

This serial port works very well for me. Thanks for sharing the trick!

> Paul

About my original questions, it looks grub is doing right here: sometimes
the VM can have "linux_gfx_mode=text", and if this happens, it looks correct
for grub to set grub_video_adapter_active to NULL.

However, I believe the line
grub_memset (&mode_info, 0, sizeof (mode_info));
is unnecessary, and the commnt before the line
grub_video_adapter_active = NULL;
may seem incorrect. Of course, this is harmless.

Thanks,
-- Dexuan