grub-devel

Re: FTDI serial console support?

From: Andrew Worsley
Subject: Re: FTDI serial console support?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 23:12:42 +1000

On 19 May 2018 at 00:32, Petter Gustad <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Daniel Kiper <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: FTDI serial console support?
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:55:55 +0200
>
>> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 01:01:41PM +0200, Petter Gustad wrote:
>>> From: Daniel Kiper <address@hidden>
>>> Subject: Re: FTDI serial console support?
>>> Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 11:32:19 +0200

>> Could you just do "insmod usbserial_ftdi"? There is a chance that it
>> will pull in all needed dependencies without breaking disk access.
>
> Thanks. Only "insmod usbserial_ftdi" does work in the sense that it
> will not break disk access. I also managed to load grub using PXE/tftp
> where I was not dependend upon disk access.
>
> But in both cases it does not work like in the coreboot URL above.
> After do insmod on usbserial_ftdi and usbserial_usbdebug the
> terminal_output command will only return console as its active output
> terminal. It will list serial_* as available output terminals, but I
> can't select usb0, usb1, etc as argument to the serial command.

I think GRUB relies on the BIOS/UEIF to provide drivers and typically
USB  was only
used to emulated old hardware like keyboard/mouse  and CD-ROMs.

Coreboot - is a BIOS/UEIF replacement and so it can do anything they
care to implement - but then it has to be
customised for each individual hardware case where as GRUB can rely on
the standardised routines.

But perhaps things have moved on - it would be great if UEIF provided
some standard USB drivers for serial.

Andrew