grub-devel

LiMux GRUB-Patches

From: Max Harmathy
Subject: LiMux GRUB-Patches
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 10:49:57 +0100

Greetings from Munich!

I talked at FOSDEM with Vladimir Serbinenko about the patches we have on
top of Ubuntu patches in the grub2 package in our current LiMux release
based on Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty).

The main reason why we have a patched version is to restrict the
fallback options using a password provided by the administrators (see
attachment). The fallback options basically provide the possibility to
drop to a root shell, which is not what you want on client systems in a
large enterprise environment.

There is a way to set a password in the Ubuntu package. I haven't looked
up in which way that mechanism comes from upstream grub or is added by
debian/ubuntu. Anyway it lets you set a password for all the entries or
for none. Thus we use the debian debconf mechanism to set a password for
the fallback options only.

We very much appreciate the proposal for adding a simple configuration
interface as presented at FOSDEM. Please keep our use case in mind while
developing. I guess every desktop distribution would benefit from it,
since most of them have such fallback options.

Max