grub-devel

Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead

From: Frank Scheiner
Subject: Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead of yaboot
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:49:53 +0200

On 09/21/2017 02:21 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
[...]
What we need are people who are willing to extensively test d-i
images with GRUB on powerpc and ppc64 and report back.

I can offer to test with all sorts of Power Mac G4s and an Xserve G4 for powerpc. I still need to buy a few CD-RWs though. :-)

 Also, I'm
not yet sure whether I have understood how exactly GRUB is properly
configured and used on powerpc and ppc64.

(1) Mathieu's pointer to [1] (with Grub's expectations) came a little too late for me and the howto I provided on [2].

(2) It looks like Rogério Brito on [3] wanted to make sure that his Grub installation also works with what yaboot "dictated" during installation (e.g. 800 KB HFS partition, etc.).

I'm unsure what the best approach would be. Assuming that on updates to Grub a new grub.img needs to be created, with approach (2) only a single file needs to be copied to the HFS partition. With approach (1) I actually don't know if the HFS partition will contain all the Grub modules in addition. But approach (1) seems to be the "default" for Grub and most likely the shipped tools also have the same expectations.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/691207

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/09/msg00034.html

[3]: http://cynic.cc/blog/posts/running_grub2_on_powerpc_macs/

Cheers,