grub-devel

`halt` doesn’t work on Lenovo T60 with coreboot and GRUB payload

From: Paul Menzel
Subject: `halt` doesn’t work on Lenovo T60 with coreboot and GRUB payload
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:32:53 +0200

Dear GRUB folks,

On a Lenovo T60 with coreboot and the GRUB payload, version 2.02-rc1,
entering `halt` in the GRUB command line, nothing happens. The cursor
goes one line below, and everything stays that way. After that, the
system can only be powered off by pressing the power button for ten
seconds.

Setting `debug=all` before that – `debug=halt` didn’t work – the last
lines are below.

```
[…]
commands/acpihalt.c:107: data type = 0x12
commands/acpihalt.c:241: Opcode 0x8
commands/acpihalt.c:242: Tell 2dbd
commands/acpihalt.c:107: data type = 0x12
commands/acpihalt.c:241: Opcode 0x8
commands/acpihalt.c:242: Tell 2dcd
commands/acpihalt.c:269: S5 found
commands/acpihalt.c:444: SLP_TYP = 7, port = 0x504
```

I would have expected at least the monitor to go dark, and maybe also
the system to power off as there is no specific command `poweroff`
[1].

> The command halts the computer. If the --no-apm option is specified,
> no APM BIOS call is performed. Otherwise, the computer is shut down
> using APM.

I heard, that SysV implemented `halt` “incorrectly”, so that it also
powered off the system. Only `halt -p` or `poweroff` was supposed to
that. so I don’t know, how GRUB’s implementation of `halt` is supposed
to work.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/halt.html#halt