grub-devel

Re: Support for search by disk id module

From: Mat628
Subject: Re: Support for search by disk id module
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 07:54:17 -0400

No. Nativedisk solves some very specific problems. It's not for general use
Okay the reason I was asking is to help solve the problem of reliably finding the correct device for a LUKS device with detached header. I previously wrote a search by disk/part UUID/GUID module which returned the device when given the disk/part UUID/GUID for either an 'MSDOS' or 'GPT' type partition or  a 'biosdisk' or 'efidisk'  with the partition types respectfully.

I now have a working search by disk id module for an 'ata' or 'usb' disk that will return the device when given the disk id. I was also able to add these commands directly to cryptodisk. And have successfully been able to mount using

insmod nativedisk
cryptomount --diskid ata-ST42443343DR_6GE23Y09-part1

If the user has a LUKS device with a detached header or plain dm-crypt device would you consider that to be more of a specific use case?