grub-devel

Re: safety of save_env

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: safety of save_env
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 22:59:35 +0300

23.08.2016 21:51, Michael Zimmermann пишет:
> Hi,
>
> how safe is the usage of save_env? I'm considering writing like 100MB to a
> loop file using the technique used by this command.

Define "safe". Command is filesystem agnostic and expects fully
preallocated file; it writes on block level. It also builds full content
of environment file in memory before writing it out; so it may fail on
systems with small amount of memory.

It attempts to verify that file can be represented by block lists and it
does not overwrite blocks outside of allocated for the file.