grub-devel

Re: error: relocation 0x2 is not module-local on OS X 10.7 using native

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: error: relocation 0x2 is not module-local on OS X 10.7 using native compiler
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:29:14 +0400

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:53 AM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What is the target platform? What is the result of mcmodel=large check?

x86_64-efi and yes, check fails.

conftest.c:1: error: code model 'large' not supported in the 64 bit mode

I do not know if this is specific to Apple; but in this version Xcode
compiler is based on gcc 4.2:

i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)

and the first version where large model is documented as working for
x86 is gcc 4.3. Our INSTALL says minimal requirement is gcc 4.1.

Note that run-time check did not necessary prevent module loading -
only if modules were more than 2GB apart.

So basically we need to either bump gcc version requirement, or relax
verifier check.