grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue does not boot on older Macs as USB stick

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue does not boot on older Macs as USB stick
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:44:01 +0300

22.12.2015 23:02, Andrei Borzenkov пишет:
> I tested stock grub-mkrescue on MacBook 3,1 (late 2007, Core 2 Duo) and
> iMac 9.1 (2009, same CPU) as USB stick. Neither boots; moreover,
> inserting USB stick when boot manager is shown hangs system (it stops
> reacting to mouse/keyboard); if stick is inserted during boot it never
> gets as far as even showing boot manager.
>
> Alexander reported something similar for 2007 Macs.
>
> Stick is not detected even when inserted under OS X. MacBook runs 10.7
> and reports that USB stick is not readable and suggests to iniitialize
> it; iMac runs 10.9 and simply ignores it (may be I do not know where to
> look).
>
> I tried two different USB and one of them boots fine here on Dell
> Latitude E5450 as EFI so I do not think both of them are defect. Of
> course, they are not of finest quality ...
>
> Same image as CD boots (I tried only MacBook but do not have reasons to
> think that iMac will not boot). It presents three choices - two EFI and
> one Windows. Windows ends up in presenting 1, 2 menu (without any
> additional explanation) and not accepting any input. This is known
> problem with legacy El Torito boot. First EFI boots; checking $cmdpath
> it boots from HFS+ partition. Second EFI does not boot and falls through
> to default boot order. When I try to chainload bootx64.efi manually (I
> have dual OS X/openSUSE on it) it actually boots fine. I /think/ it
> tries to load \EFI\Boot\boot.efi which is 32 bit only. I need to test
> with removed boot.efi and with fat image.

It is red herring. Mac correctly loads bootx64.efi and does not need or
use startup.nsh (I do not think it even has EFI Shell which interprets
this file).

> I do not know if mkrescue image ever booted as USB on Mac. Alexander
> says it does on modern Mac; anyone ever tried it on earlier models?

OK, it turned out to be not related to xorriso, but for the record ...

Mac does not like FAT created by mformat. I can reproduce it easily by
creating single MSDOS partition on USB stick of type 0xef size 2880K,
formatting it with same options as grub-mkrescue:

sudo mformat -C -f 2880 -L 16 -i /dev/sdb1 ::

and copying bootx64.efi into \EFI\BOOT on it.

The same partition formatted with mkfs -t fat works like a charm.

Both Porteus and openSUSE CD (which correctly boot) have ESP created by
mkfs.fat.

TBH I think that precreating FAT once and shipping image with GRUB is
the most simple solution. It can be empty, we can dd files later.

Ideas?