grub-devel

Re: Mouse support for just the wheel and left button.

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Mouse support for just the wheel and left button.
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 08:52:05 +0300

17.12.2015 05:52, John Murphy пишет:
> Hello and thanks for Grub. I use it daily.

You need to boot so often? :)

> I've seen questions regarding mouse support, but the answers imply that an
> on-screen pointer is requested. I would find it very useful to be able to
> use the mouse scroll wheel (which is just two switch clicks if I understand
> correctly) to move up and down between entries, and one click on the left
> mouse button to emulate pressing Enter.
>
> All that would seem necessary is for wheel up-button to do up arrow, wheel
> down-button - down arrow and left-button - Enter.

GRUB mostly relies on firmware support. At least for EFI there is no
notion of "wheel", only mouse move events. I do not know if mouse can be
accessed via BIOS at all.

For tablet type devices using volume up/down and tap may work for menu
selection, assuming that modern devices are EFI based.

> I have my own reasons for wanting the feature, but, while searching for
> information, I saw that some users are finding their USB keyboard isn't
> supported and they may have found simple mouse button and wheel support
> useful.
>
> It could also help those who usually use on-screen keyboards like the
> quite excellent OnBoard.

Someone who has hardware and can actually test it needs to send patches.