grub-devel

Re: Grub2 documentation of the GRUB_CMDLINE_*XEN* parameters -- unclear.

From: PGNet Dev
Subject: Re: Grub2 documentation of the GRUB_CMDLINE_*XEN* parameters -- unclear. What's _intended_?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 12:41:04 -0800

On 11/22/2015 11:54 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
No, they aren't exclusive of one another, but are used to construct
different command lines.  GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN* are used for the hypervisor
command line; GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE* are used for the Linux
kernel command line (but if unset, the corresponding GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX*
values are used instead).

The misleading description you quote was the one in 2.00, but was
clarified in git a while ago:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=48f39bb4df5b903aaa66db9fdc6679571bff0dd9

That's exactly the helpful clarification needed. Thanks! It'd be useful to have that updated on the grub2 website's docs -- it's just as valid there.

And, what specifically gets mapped to Xen kernel's "options=" parameter
line?

E.g., a grub2-mkconfig-generated xen*.cfg takes the form

Upstream grub-mkconfig does not generate xen*.cfg at all.  This is an
openSUSE-specific patch.  From inspecting their source code, I believe
that the GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN* options will apply here.

I'd realized that there's different naming, e.g. the "grub2-mkconfig", but had not realized this^^ diff as well.

The docs should clearly address which PARAMETERS map to the "options=" line,
and which to the kernel=" line in the Xen case.

No doubt, but it is up to the openSUSE maintainers to make sure that

Noted. The latest upgrade of the distro has proven to be quite problematic, particularly in the real-world/modern { pv-kernel + Xen + Grub2 + EFI } use case; and the docs are a bit of a mess. I'd _strongly_ prefer a grub2 instance closer to upstream's. Not yet sure what replacing the distro's with a 'clean' upstream build entails ...

Thanks again for the response.