grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 06:42:07 +0300

19.10.2015 22:10, Lennart Sorensen пишет:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 07:55:23PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
GRUB reads grub.cfg either from the device BIOS had booted from (sans
serious BIOS bugs) or from device where UUID of /boot/grub is found. At
least if this GRUB was installed by grub-install. So order of devices in
BIOS is irrelevant.

I asked him to explain how GRUB was installed on both devices but he never
replied ... besides IIRC original question of about EFI, not BIOS.

EFI would make a difference.  I would very much expect EFI to tell the
bootloader which device it was started from.

Legacy BIOS is expected to do it as well.

After all EFI isn't BIOS, so if someone says BIOS I am going to assume
that is what they mean. :)

"BIOS" is often colloquially used for "firmware of my system".