grub-devel

Re: Rewrite of OS-prober module?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Rewrite of OS-prober module?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:02:13 +0300

В Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:09:04 +0100
Tom Davies <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hi :)
> I have a fairly shy friend who has done a re-write of the os-prober module
> for his own needs after doing a lot of study about EFI systems.

os-prober itself is not part of grub.

> He is already moving on to other things but i think it's a shame he seems
> to think he can't submit the whole thing without;
> 1.  breaking it down into components and submitting each separately and

Dividing large change in smaller incremental changes helps to
understand, review and troubleshoot it. As usual, there is no universal
recipe suitable for every case.

> 2.  getting bogged down into being the only maintainer of it.

This depends on code being useful and interesting to others and he will
never know until he makes code available.

> So is there anything i can suggest to my friend or any links i can send him
> or anything i can do to help him give the code to the project?

If he wants to contribute to GRUB, just send patches to this list.
Otherwise simply publish this code; there are enough possibilities to
do it. Posting link here would open up opportunity for others to look
and possibly contribute.