grub-devel

Re: Set a bootdrive environment variable.

From: Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
Subject: Re: Set a bootdrive environment variable.
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 15:44:44 -0400

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem is that $cmdpath had been around for long enough. If
$cmdpath is used only after loading normal (that are cases I'm aware
of) we can make it compatibility variable set by normal without causing
more core bloat.

I'm not finding any uses of cmdpath in git, and when I went to dig in RH/Fedora packaging, it looks like there is already a patch that appears to rename it and change its meaning [1], along with two other related patches.

You mention you know of cases where it's used after loading normal, could you please point me to them?

I'd like to try to come up with a patch that will work for everyone. FWIW, my requirement right now is only to have some way (aside from regexp, since we're concerned running regexp in the EFI context could increase attack exposure) to get just the GRUB boot device (ie. cd0, hd0, etc. without partition information), so that ISO images could boot and load a generic grub.cfg that doesn't need to encode a filesystem UUID or some other identifier.

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/grub2.git/tree/0090-Add-fw_path-variable-revised.patch

Kind regards,

/ Matt