grub-devel

Re: Future of installing GRUB to LVM volumes (and loop devices)

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Future of installing GRUB to LVM volumes (and loop devices)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 12:34:22 +0300

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Sebastian Pipping
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I understand that some relations may be hard to impossible to detect.
> The cases that I have are plain parent-child relations, though.
> It would rock the house to get these cases covered again.
>
> (On a side note, text "unknown device type loop0" looks like a bug to me
> since "loop0" is not a type.)

It comes from Open Firmware part. May be it should be downgraded to
Info. But as long as it happens in grub-probe only it is OK.

>>> I am still wondering: how come it was working in GRUB 2.00 but now
>>> longer is?
>>>

>> But by you said in previous message that HEAD works? Not sure how
>> though :)
>
> That referred to the '(hd0)'-parameter-with-device-map case, only.
>
> This patch to grml-debootstrap says best what has stopped working:
> https://github.com/hartwork/grml-debootstrap/commit/a705ff45c2d053b0d90ec51700e2d25a760106f3

Could you please describe your exact configuration that does not work
(including all devices and their relationships) and what does not
work? Sorry if you did it already but I somehow lost track here.