grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue problems in argp_parse

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue problems in argp_parse
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:31:10 +0200

Hi,

Vladimir wrote:
> In all I kinda like
> that grub-mkrescue would be drop-in replacement for xorrisofs/mkisofs
> with additional boot semantics. Unfortunately it requires additional
> discipline of avoiding option clashes like this one.

You would have to reserve option names within xorriso's
command set and its -as mkisofs option set. I would then
avoid to give them a meaning in those sets.
You would also have to resolve the old collision -v.

There are further incompatibilities between old and new
grub-mkrescue by the not yet implemented old options
  --modules
  --grub-mkimage
  --override-directory
Will they be re-introduced ? (Should they ? What did they do ?)

> In principle I'm ok with having more elegant command line if the name of
> tool changes.

Please count 1 vote for "grub-mkiso". :))
As said, both personalities could share one body to avoid
duplication of maintainance effort.

I propose to describe the new CLI in the docs as "unambiguous"
rather than as "more elegant".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas