grub-devel

Re: Having the configuration file embedded into core.img look for the gr

From: Arbiel Perlacremaz
Subject: Re: Having the configuration file embedded into core.img look for the grub partition by its label
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 22:00:04 +0200

Le 23/09/2014 18:37, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
> В Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:11:21 +0200
> Arbiel Perlacremaz <address@hidden> пишет:
>
>> Having the grub directory on the external device is not what I'm looking
>> for.
>>
>> I indeed use several external devices and I've installed GRUB on each of
>> them so that it is always available, whatsoever my configuration is. To
>> avoid confusion when updating GRUB, all my fstab files mount a unique
>> directory, always the same, on /boot/grub. This is the reason why I want
>> GRUB on my hard drive.
>>
> Well, use grub-mkimage then; you are completely free in adding your own
> embedded config file.

In using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I don't know which grub version I'm presently
using, as the -v parameter don't mean "print the version information"
any longer, but "print verbose messages".
In reviewing grub-install parameters, I did not find any one allowing
for the incorporating a user-generated grub image. Nor don't I know how
to use grub-mkimage to generate such an image. However, I tried the
--force-file-id parameter and as a result of this, I got what I am
looking for.

bootinfoscript outputs the following

============================= Boot Info Summary:
===============================

 => Windows 7/8/2012 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
 => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at
sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and
looks
    for / and uses an embedded config file:

    search.file /uuid/2nk2euatog5bddbaf30io4hb root hd0,msdos2
    set prefix=($root)'/'

It's even better than what I expected as a user probably never will
change the names of this grub-install generated directory and file .