grub-devel

A few questions about GRUB 2

From: Shriramana Sharma
Subject: A few questions about GRUB 2
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 21:28:31 +0530

Hello. I am asking this here since I intend to submit a patch for GRUB
(in the scripting and documentation, not the C code) and wanted to
clear up a few things before that.

1) What is the JPEG support status of GRUB?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays says JPEGs should be
only 256 color. Is that true still?

2) For some JPEG images I get an error saying "too many huffman
tables" -- is this related to the above limitation? If not what is it
related to? (I am not knowledgeable about JPEG internals.)

With the GRUB 2 coming with Kubuntu Trusty, I observe that
menu_color_* only apply to the primary menu and not to the secondary
menu, where only color_* are applied.

3) Is this behaviour intentional? Calling it "menu_*" seems to
indicate that the colors should apply to menu entries in general. The
info page nodes on menu_color_* also refer to only menu entries in
general.

4) Is there a case *outside* the primary and any secondary menus (i.e.
in GRUB commandline or otherwise) where the color_highlight would be
meaningful?

Thanks.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा