grub-devel

Re: XP, 8.1 and UEFI with grub2?

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: XP, 8.1 and UEFI with grub2?
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 21:48:41 -0400

On Monday, April 7, 2014, <address@hidden> wrote:
Grub Gurus

Perhaps this is good timing for this
question.  I hope I am asking it in the right place.  I have been
using Ubuntu and XP multiboot for quite some time and using Ubuntu
more and XP less.  With support for XP expiring April 8 I would like
to stop using it while connected to the internet.  My goal is to
multiboot XP, Ubuntu and 8.1 on the same 64 bit new machine.

My question is if XP requires legacy
BIOS and it is available (?) but 8.1 requires UEFI (?) does this
prevent grub2 from accessing the three OSs from a single menu.  Can
Grub2 switch between legacy BIOS and UEFI or does this require a
process like changing BIOS settings?

This is determined by your firmware, and not by GRUB. In general, no, this isn't possible. On some firmware, you can switch between BIOS and UEFI, but this is done by a setting in the options menu and requires a reboot typically.

Also, UEFI is required on all *new* PCs running Win 8. It is not a general requirement.

The (?)s above mean I do not
know if those assumptions are correct.  I suspect Ubuntu is
compatible with both and the only problem is between XP and 8.1.

Most hardware that can run XP probably can't run Windows 8.1 AFAIK.

have collected multiboot info from MS on XP and 7 but if I need to
purchase new hardware why install a new OS that is already obsolete.

Any pointers to how the UEFI/legacy
works,  hardware compatibility requirements for this to be possible,
or related issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,  I always enjoy
reading the messages in this list.

Randy