grub-devel

Re: booting btrfs

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: booting btrfs
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:13:20 +0800

2014/1/10 Chris Murphy <address@hidden>:

> On Jan 9, 2014, at 3:03 AM, Michael Chang <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Another hiccup. Maybe it's a silly use case. Consider /boot on Btrfs,
>>> multiple-device, raid1 data/metadata profile, UEFI Secure Boot. A drive
>>> dies, and the system needs to be rebooted before a rebuild occurs.
>>>
>>> This works today with /boot on raid1/10 Btrfs. Yes, I manually have to add
>>> a degraded mount option as this isn't automatically done by Btrfs yet. But
>>> the GRUB boot part works. Even degraded, the path to grub.cfg is valid. And
>>> the file system itself keeps multiple copies so there's no work keeping it
>>> current.
>>>
>>> With Secure Boot it's a problem. The signed grubx64.efi has a fixed prefix
>>> location, valid on any computer, to search for grub.cfg, which is on the
>>> ESP. So now we need to have multiple copies of grub.cfg, somehow synced, on
>>> each ESP. Or another solution. If we had a Btrfs subvolumetypeGUID,
>>> analogous to the GPT partitiontypeGUID, and specify that as the baked in
>>> partuuid for a signed grubx64.efi to search for /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
>>
>> Isn't search --fs-uuid sufficient for this task? Or I'm afraid that I
>> didn't understand your problem enough.
>>
>>  cat <<EOF > /boot/efi/EFI/<DISTRIBUTION>/grub.cfg
>>  search --fs-uuid --set=root `grub-probe --target=fs_uuid /boot/grub`
>>  set prefix=(\$root)/boot/grub
>>  configfile \$prefix/grub.cfg
>>  EOF
>>
>>  grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> This way we can avoid calling "grub-mkconfig -o
>> /boot/efi/EFI/<DISTRIBUTION>/grub.cfg" and hopefully can get rid of
>> the problem you have.
>
> Yes I think that will work. Do you agree that a GUI installer permitting,
> e.g. /boot on Btrfs raid1, should implement this?

Honestly I'm not clear about the benefit of it on your case (/boot on
Btrfs) but it would be helpful if you want managing your config path
more in common and general, so use it if you find it useful. :)

> Or should it be a future feature of grub-mkconfig to figure out, that two
> grub.cfgs are needed?

No. I don't think grub-mkconfig should be changed at all. Use it in
your UI wrapper scripts to grub-mkcofig would be better.

Regards,
Michael