grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Support for UEFI ESP in os-prober

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [RFC] Support for UEFI ESP in os-prober
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 13:55:45 -0400

On May 31, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden> wrote:

> Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> I must say I'm generally disappointed with os-prober and have
>> ideas to move away from it. I'll start another topic for it.
>
> I agree.  I would prefer adding an include command so grub.cfg could just do
> something like:
>
> include /boot/grub/grub.d/*.cfg
>
> and have an install procedure drop in one or more menu items instead of every
> os install or update rewriting the entire grub.cfg every time.

Or for GRUB to be a lot more dynamic by scanning the EFI System partition for
bootloaders it recognizes, an effectively creates a grub.cfg on the fly based
on ESP contents, and NVRAM contents. I think the present behavior is
unreliable, and makes GRUB a very narrowly useful boot manager. So the question
is, does GRUB want to grow into a more capable boot manager rather than just a
collection of bootloaders for different OS's.

Chris Murphy