grub-devel

Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:46:44 +0100

On 18.03.2013 22:05, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Other USB drives aren't causing the reported problem, including other USB
>>> 3TB drives.
>>>
>>> Maybe the issue is the computer is USB 2.0 and this particular 4Kn drive is
>>> in a USB 3.0 enclosure, even if in theory the USB 3.0 drive should just
>>> fallback to 2.0.
>>>

>> It doesn't matter. I also tried with a 160GB 4Kn native disk. It wasn't
>> bootable on any BIOS-based system either
>
> What this user is reporting isn't an attempt to boot off the 4Kn disk. The
> EFI CSM seems to be hanging just by virtue of having the 4Kn disk attached
> (via USB). That disk has a GPT with PMBR, I had him zero first 5 sectors so
> they don't contain boot loader code or other garbage.
>
> Nevertheless what you're reporting, if its a wide spread behavior, obviates
> any value of 4Kn drives breathing life into MBR/BIOS such that they could
> support 2.2+TB boot drives. At least, short of flash updates for the BIOS.

BIOS interfaces support up-to 64-bit LBA adressing so >2T is just issue
of fixing bugs in BIOS. On, the other hand problem with 4Kn is deeper as
it doesn't seem to even be any implicit agreement of how such disks
should be handled for booting. Nor does it seem any impmentation on
either bootloader or BIOS side.