grub-devel

Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:38:59 +0000

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Jordan,
>
> Thanks for your kind help.
>
> Unfortunately I was in terrible pain due to illness and I'm blaming it for
> overlooking a dependency or step I needed to follow when installing
> grub-legacy.
>
> It failed and I can no longer boot  my computer.  Since the program
> doesn't seem to have set up correctly SuperGrub and the other Grub fixing
> CDs won't work.  Also since I have no native driver for either eth0 or wifi

If all that's missing is a proper grub installation, then Super GRUB2
Disk should be able to boot your system without any issues (if not,
then I'd like to know why so that I can fix it) . Please start a
thread on address@hidden or address@hidden, or
join #grub or #sgrub on irc.freenode.net and I should be able to get
you running again one way or another without too much trouble (I'd
personally recommend IRC, this type of thing is usually most easily
solved with real time questions and discussion).

> on the computer, I cannot just reinstall the system.  I need to but the hard
> drive on another computer and install the kernel modules then pop it in my
> computer, but this takes time and another computer. I hope I can borrow my
> friend's computer where I write this.
>
> I saved grub and grub-install --version from GRUB2 on my gmail account in
> case I had problems putting Grub Legacy back on this computer.
>
> I should have tried Andrey Borzenkov's suggeston about vga= line now
> working.  Has it worked for the start, we would not have had such trouble.

vga= has always worked exactly the same way in grub2 as it did in grub
legacy, it just gives a deprecation warning with grub2.

> The command line community has been hacking up keep gfxpayload and other
> parameters.   Hopefully the developers of GRUB will put in a line # To Keep
> GRUB console resolution in virtual consoles uncomment the next line by
> removing #.  Would solve the problem for us.

GFXPAYLOAD=keep is the default, so you shouldn't need to uncomment
anything to get what you're asking for *from grub*, but that doesn't
prevent the kernel from discarding the mode that grub hands off to it
and setting its own (as is the default with newer kernels and KMS).
I've said this many times now, and I still stand by it: I think that
what you're noticing is *NOT* a change in grub, but a change in the
linux kernel with the advent of kernel mode setting. Please at least
entertain the possibility that that is the case and stop stating the
contrary as if it were fact.

> More later.
>
> Thanks again to all.

You're welcome, and I hope you are able to get your system working again soon.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)